We have completed our first full week of school!! YAY! It flew by so fast. There are approx. 180 students at the school this year and the class sizes range from 7 students to 23. Most of them are angels and the marjority of them love art, which is much different compared to NB. Dicipline is definitely low but the skill levels in each grade have a wide range. Some students are keener and love to excel in class, others are only try hard because their parents make them. And then there is the last group of students who have very low English speaking skills. So I could blab on all I want, but they have no freakin' clue what I'm saying. Often I get another student to translate the important parts, but sometime the students won't even admit that they don't understand. It's those students I worry about because I can't tell if they know what I'm saying or not. My students are at higher levels than in NB, so I'm up for the challenge of coming up with great lessons for them!! I have been teaching kindergarten to grade 10 right now, so I have to plan for 10 different lessons. It seems like a lot, but right now I'm also getting anywheres from 2-4 preps A DAY! I have a lot of time to prepare. My art room, as you may have already seen, is loaded with art supplies of all different sorts.
Greg so far has been doing all sorts of different jobs at the school. He eventually will be helping out certain students in certain classes with their work (like a TA), but right now they need time to identify those students, so Greg has two main tasks: 1. He makes a lot of photocopies and 2. He's been helping out a boy in grade 3 who has ADHD. He helps in class to stay on task and control is temper (I think). He is also coaching the girls volleyball team twice a week and doing basketball.
We start school at 8am every day and end at 4pm. I have a key to my room so I can walk over and work there whenever I like. All in all we are really liking work so far.
Glad everything is going well and I hope it continues to :)
ReplyDeleteMiss you!!
Tabitha