Sorry we have not written in a while. We've become lost in the everyday life of China. Since we last wrote Greg has purchased a new guitar that he has been playing on a regular basis. He has also started coaching the basketball team along with volley ball and basketball as an after school activity. At lunch he is even sharing his talents with a few students by giving them guitar lessons. I have finally joined a gym near by, but other than that find that I'm spending a lot of time preparing for my classes each day. I was able to see an orthodontist on Monday who spoke very clear English and was able to change my wire and elastics. I plan to see him every two months. It is most definitely cheap to have dental work done here than back home. If ever you in China go get some work done!
On the 11th we were fortunate enough to have a staff Thanksgiving potluck, which was very yummy. We had turkey, gravy, double baked potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Greg and I brought a punch (that we made last minute and at random) which was a big hit!
The following night, on the 12th, was Greg and my 8th year anniversary. Greg bought me a plant that I have fallen in love with. (I got him nothing cause I'm a bum) and we went out to a fancy restaurant for supper. It was called LSD party. Greg and I sat at table that could probably sit 8 people. We each had a large white sofa to ourselves. The ceiling was full of white branches, lights and many many plastic bubbles. It was very dark int he room, most likely so we could see the projection on the large wall to our left. To eat we started with a "large" bowl of caeser salad and a bottle of white wine. Greg ordered smoked duck breast with mashed potatoes and gravy. I had cod with asparagus and saute tomatoes. We both shared a side of pesto. They definitely side with quality over quantity... but the food was very tasty!! Greg gives his duck an A cup at best. Since we still had a bit of room in our bellies after our 519 RMB meal we decided to stop at Starbucks for a slice of new york cheese cake, coffee and a tea.
This past weekend we celebrated one of friends birthdays by going to the nearby skating rink for some amusement. The rink is hidden on the 4th floor of a mall complex that is about a 10 minute walk from us. Greg says it was a full size hockey rink, but it looked like it was being used for a lot more figure skating than hockey. We were able to rent skates there (Greg's were 3 sizes too small, but that was the biggest they had). The rink was quite warm, so I have no clue how the ice wasn't melting, but we were able to wear shorts and t-shirts. There were quite a few Chinese people on it. A lot of children were getting taught figure skating in the middle as the rest of us circled around.
We have also been going to a park nearby for a random stroll every so often. It is only 2 blocks away from us and it very well kept. A lot of people go there to fly kites, play card games on table, sit with their families in the shade, or just run some laps (one man even ran with an umbrella to keep himself cool). The temperature here has still been quite warm, but the nights are finally cooling down. I might try to wear pants one day soon. I have been living in summer dresses for way too long.
...pictures about some of these events will be posted soon!
A cup at best for the duck eh, hahah, too funny!!
ReplyDeleteWhat's the gym like? Is it comparable to gyms here?
I'm totally jealous you're still in summer dresses, please bring me back pretty ones :) haha!
Good to hear you have an orthodontist you can understand, haha, always comforting :)
Miss you guys!!
Tabs
xoxox
Aww ... you went to have cheesecake and tea without me, eh?! haha I guess I will just have to pay you a visit.
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
-Tiff :)
PS:Happy Anniversary!
I agree with Tab, A cup at best is too funny, ohh Greg
ReplyDeleteSounds like an interesting Anniversary dinner.
Anyhow hope all is well
Miss ya!!
Jayme